Firstly: The Definition of Hajj
Linguistically, Hajj means ‘intending with resolution’.
Technically, Hajj means intending the holy ritual sites in order to observe their rites at a specific place and time out of worship of Allah, Mighty and Majestic.
Secondly: The Definition of `Umrah
Linguistically, `umrah means ‘visitation’ and ‘intending with resolution’.
Technically, `umrah means worshipping Allah the Exalted by circumambulating the Ka`bah, walking between Safa and Marwah, and terminating it by shaving or shortening the hair.
Thirdly: Some of the Merits of Hajj and `Umrah
1. Hajj is one of the best actions with Allah the Exalted.
2. Hajj is a means by which sins are forgiven.
3. A blessed  Al-Hafidh Ibn Hajar says: “A blessed Hajj – some say it means ‘accepted’; others say it means ‘free of sin’; and others say it means ‘purely for the sake of Allah’.” (Fath al-Bari, 1/85) Hajj is rewarded with Paradise.
4. Hajj eliminates what comes before it.
5. Frequent Hajj and `umrah wipe out poverty and sins.
6. Performing `umrah wipes out all sins since the last `umrah.
7. Performing `umrah in Ramadan is equivalent to performing Hajj with the Prophet ﷺ.